The History Of Whale Conservation | Captain John Whale Watching & Fishing Tours – Plymouth, Massachusetts
In nearly every major coastal city, including Plymouth, Massachusetts, you’ll find at least one company that offers whale watching boat tours. Seeing the giants of the sea in person is an unforgettable experience and has helped to raise awareness about whale conservation over the past 60 years.
Read this brief history of whale watching and whale conservation and then book your whale watching tour to see these mammoths of the sea for yourself:
- Whale watching , as a commercial enterprise, started in the early 1950s when fishing tour companies on the West Coast began offering enticing whale watching rides. For one dollar, you could take a ride and often enjoy the site of a few whales in the freedom of the sea.
- The International Whaling Commission, or IWC, one of today’s leaders in the whale conservation movement , was founded in 1946, shortly before commercial whale watching began. Today, organizations like the IWC work towards making sure boat operators of whale watching companies are respecting the whales and maintaining safe practices in whale areas.
- In the 1970s, whale watching companies started to appear in major U.S. coastal cities. People across the world were given the opportunity to see the majestic sea creatures, and many felt they were worth saving. Commercial whaling lost a lot of popularity during this time, although it is still practiced by certain countries today.
- It’s estimated today that whale watching is a multibillion dollar industry, with over 9 million participants across the world. Exercising caution and respect in whale areas, whale watching will continue to inspire whale conservation movements and concern for the whales.
To experience whale watching, contact Captain John Whale Watching and Fishing Tours . We offer memorable and exciting whale watching and fishing tours in Plymouth, Massachusetts. Visit our website or call us at (508) 746-2646 to learn more.
- What To Bring On Your Whale Watching Trip | Captain John Whale Watching & Fishing Tours – Whale Watch Plymouth
- Amazing Facts About Humpback Whales
- 4 Perfect Opportunities to Hire a Private Deep Sea Fishing Charter | Captain John Whale Watch – Plymouth, MA
- How Dolphin Communication Is Similar to Human Communication
- The Best Time for Whale Watching in Massachusetts